Saturday, June 6, 2009

My youth ... its gone...

April 17th 2009... that was the day. It came to soon ya know... i was just not mentally ready for it. What was "it " you might ask.. "it" was my title. My excuse for a lot of the things i do, my spunk, My teenage years!! I regretfully was forced by time to drop the "teen" and become 20. I'M 20!

The ring is just not there anymore, you know the enthusiasm "teen" brings to a sentence when pronounced... its just not there when you say twenty. My teens, were taken from me.

I have struggled ever since that fateful day to think positively, reminding myself that i am still ME. I can still get away with things like Christmas cards harmless pranks and music videos. After i gave this some serious thought though i came to the conclusion that this is a new leaf. My 20's... they could be amazing, possibly even better then my teen years. Things were looking up. Until i went to work.

My first client, she was shy.... didn't talk much. But after about 15 min she warmed up and started to talk to me. It came up that it was her birthday. I decided right then and there that i was going to style her hair SO CUTE, just to make her day even better ( and not charge her, hey I'm a nice girl). So i mentally decided this and kept our conversation going. Some time passed and she asked me how old i was, i told her to guess (excited to here her answer)
I wish i could un-hear what i heard. My ears burned, my thoughts swelled and I was forced to keep my tear ducts under control. She answered light and breezy " late twenties....29 i would say"
I wanted to take the clippers to her now perfect concave bob. I now regretted spending so much time smoothing out the fuzzy 22 year old curls. Who did she think she was ripping my 20's from me like that? i only just got them. I only just accepted the fact that my 20' s could be great. And she had the nerve to think that "late 20's...29 i think" was not going to hurt.. far out!
But what could i do? I smiled the polite smile and said "oh just a little off, but dont worry, i get it all the time". I lied, I do NOT get it all the time. The fact is that if i did get that all the time i would be in for some SERIOUS BOTOX. I'm only 20.... and i love it?

7 comments:

  1. Turning 20 was not fun for me. I'm going to be Twenty-freakin-FIVE this year. Make the most of being 20. 17 was my best year and also 22. So you have 22 to look forward to as well.
    Make 20 great and let me pretend I'm 20 again through you... even though you don't know me and this is maybe scary (?)I'm friends with Liv and Tyler, does that make this less weird...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that that person Laura said that she was friends with Liv Tyler, as in the actress haha. Anyway Love the post, so fun and call me soon ok. Love from Jacklyn (your sister hahaha who am I)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mango. We can make 20 be great together. I too am a a little hesitant about losing my teens. So hurry up with your soul searching and I will see you in our cozy 2 room bungalow in SoAb. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just love this Angela. my 20 year old daughter!!! you will love the 20's I promise!!!! love you tons

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm stuck thinking i'm still 21, so you're really ruining by telling me you are 20 because you're supposed to be like 13 to make this work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same haneus (that's how you spell hane-es right?) reaction when I turned 20. I was even married and it still rocked me. I feel for you I really do but come on 29 she probably was just jealous and was trying to be a B I or something...I hate girls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, I can so relate. See growing up I took great pride in the fact that people couldn't always tell who was older, me or Jess. I would laugh so hard when people would guess me and Jessica would be furious. Well jokes on me because once you hit twenty it all changes and people still don't have a clue. We were eating dinner with Kyles pest control office, last summer and those boys didn't have the foggiest who was older. I developed a bit of a complex wondering how old people thought I was. I didn't really mind 20, not at all, I loved twenty one.... whats not cool about twenty one? But twenty two... well im still coping haha
    Jades right, 29- theres no way

    ReplyDelete